Your plumbing system can go awry at any point in time. To prepare yourself for a plumbing problem, you should familiarize yourself with the answers to these common plumbing questions. When all else fails, call an expert for plumbing services in Alexandria, VA.
1. How Do I Prevent Water Damage? The best way to prevent water damage is to be on the lookout for leaks and to receive regular maintenance of your plumbing system. As soon as you notice an issue, call an experienced plumber.
2. What Should I Do About a Burst Pipe? As soon as you notice the burst pipe, shut off the water at the main valve. Turn off electricity to avoid shock and call a 24-hour plumber in Alexandria, VA. There’s no time to waste.
3. What Should I Do When My Toilet Overflows? If your toilet starts overflowing, don’t panic. You can prevent the toilet from losing more water by shutting off the valve located behind the toilet. Then, clean up the water and call the plumber.
4. What Should I Do When My Toilet Runs Until I Jiggle the Handle? The handle of your toilet may be getting stuck, which leaves the flapper open. Unless the flapper is closed, the water will continue to flow. You can oil, tighten, or replace the handle.
5. How Do I Unclog My Tub? A drain snake could unblock a stubborn clog in your bathtub. But if that doesn’t work, the clog may be too far down the line for you to reach.
6. Can I Drain Water From My Dishwasher? A dishwasher that won’t drain may be an easy fix. You can look for a clog or try cleaning out the strainer basket.
7. How Can I Fix My Garbage Disposal? If your garbage disposal isn’t working, you should turn it off and disconnect the unit from the power source. Then, check the cavity for small objects or other obstacles. Check to see if the breaker is tripped, reconnect the unit, and try running the disposal again.
8. Why Is My Faucet Leaking? Faucets leak for many reasons, but corroded gaskets, valves, and o-rings are the most common reasons.
9. Why Is My Water Bill So High? An unexpected increase in your water bill is a sign that you have a leak. Even if you don’t see the leak, you could have a hidden one.
10. Should I Install a Tankless Hot Water Heater? Although some people are perfectly fine with a traditional hot water heater, there are several benefits to using a tankless hot water heater. They never run out of water and can save you money.
11. Is It Normal for Pipes to Rattle? You might be used to a rattle coming from your pipes, but it’s not normal. Typically, rattling pipes are caused by unsecured pipes.
12. Can I Prevent My Pipes from Freezing? Before you need plumbing services in Alexandria, VA to fix frozen pipes, take action. Insulate your pipes well or leave your water on a slow drop on cold nights.
13. Where Does Most of My Water Use Come From? Generally, the toilet uses the most water in a household.
14. What Constitutes a Plumbing Emergency? A plumbing emergency is any plumbing problem that causes you immediate concern. Small leaks and clogs aren’t emergencies.
15. How Long Should I Wait to Call a Plumber? As soon as you notice a problem with your plumbing, call a plumber. Waiting too long will cause the issue to worsen.
16. How Much Will My Repair Cost? Every plumber has different rates, and every job is unique. You need to call for an estimate on your repair.
17. Why Should I Call a Plumber for a Sink That’s Slow to Drain? When a sink is slow to drain, there’s a clog somewhere in the line. The clog could be minor or major, but it needs to be addressed quickly. You might have a serious blockage that will eventually cause your pipes to leak or burst.
18. Are Drain Cleaning Chemicals Safe? When used too frequently, drain cleaning chemicals are bad for your pipes. They could cause the pipes to deteriorate.
19. Do I need to Repipe My Home? If you find yourself needing constant plumbing repairs, you should consider repiping your home. In the long-run, it’s cheaper than making frequent repairs. To find out if your home is a candidate for repiping, speak with an experienced plumber.
20. What Shouldn’t I Put Down My Sink? Grease, flour, and other sticky substances should not go down your drain. Over time, they will cause a clog. That clog will slow down your drains and could cause serious plumbing complications.
21. Why Do I Smell Sewage in My Home? You may be smelling sewage in your home because there’s an issue with your sewer line. Because of health hazards, you should call a plumber ASAP.
22. Should My Plumber Be Licensed? Although there are unlicensed people who may offer to fix your plumbing, you should only work with a licensed professional. Doing so is the only way to guarantee they’re well-trained and have the experience for the job. You should also make sure they are insured.
23. What is Hydrojetting? There are several ways in which a plumber can remove a blockage in your pipes. One such way is with hydrojetting. They use a long hose and snake it down your pipes. Then, they shoot water out through your pipes. It’s a quick and effective way to remove clogs.
24. Why Are DIY Plumbing Fixes a Bad Idea? In an effort to save money, you may consider doing your own plumbing repairs. This is a mistake that could result in an injury or further damage to your plumbing.
25. Who Should I Call for Plumbing services in Alexandria, VA? If you need any help with your plumbing, give us a call at Cardinal Plumbing. We offer a variety of plumbing services in Alexandria, VA, and are ready to take on your plumbing. Checkout 5 tips for winter plumbing protection.