5 Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Plumber in Virginia
There is no shortage of plumbing companies in Ashburn, Virginia. However, more choices can paralyze your search for the right plumber. How do you know if you are hiring a qualified professional? Does the plumber have experience with your type of plumbing system? What guarantees, estimates, and warranties do the plumber offers? Finding a plumber is easy. Finding the right plumber, however, can be challenging – especially if you have never used a professional for plumbing services in Ashburn. Below is a simple guide on how to locate and hire a plumber for your home or business. These five questions can help you narrow your search to ensure you get quality work, efficient service, and affordable rates.
1. “What are your credentials?”This is the most basic and necessary question that you should ask anyone who claims to be a professional plumber in Virginia. A true professional takes the time to seek training and certification so that they can secure a proper plumber’s license recognized by the state. Virginia requires all tradesmen – including plumbers – to obtain a plumbing license before any bidding or work can take place. The best plumbers in Ashburn carry the following credentials:
- Liability Insurance
2. “Can I get a reference?”This is a two-part question.
Part One: Actual References from Previous ClientsA reputable plumber is not only willing, but also proud, to give you references from recent clients. An experienced plumber has a long list of happy, loyal clients who will vouch for him. Don’t hesitate to ask for references from previous clients and follow up by calling them.
Part Two: Online Customer Reviews and RatingsIf you don’t feel comfortable asking for references, you can go online to look for customer reviews and ratings. A good place to start is to look at the company’s Google reviews. You can also find reviews on social media pages and sites like Yelp and the Better Business Bureau. Sites like Angie’s List and HomeAdvisor are also helpful resources for finding good plumbing companies in Ashburn, Virginia.
3. “Have you done this work before?”There is a significant difference between cleaning a drain and remodeling a bathroom plumbing system. The plumber that does repiping for a home is not the same as a plumber who replaces an entire sewer line for a corporate building. Each plumber has their own certification and specialization. Before you hire a plumber, make sure they have extensive experience performing the plumbing job you need in your home or business. Ask questions such as
- “Have you successfully completed this type of work?”
- “Have you worked on this type of plumbing system, fixture, or drain?”
- “Do you service residential or commercial plumbing systems?”
- “Are you skilled in plumbing installation, repair, and maintenance?”
4. “What is in your plumbing estimate?”Every plumber should provide a comprehensive estimate of work when bidding on a job. In fact, you should view an estimate as a bid as you shop around for the right plumber. An estimate tells you everything you need to know to make an informed decision about hiring a plumber. Although estimates vary per company, every estimate should include the following items:
- Company name and contact information
- Project summary
- Job completion timeframe
- Hourly rate or flat fee rate
- Material list and cost
- Permits required (if applicable)
- Insurance and licensure information
- A guarantee of work (including warranty information, if applicable)