5 Signs of A Clogged Kitchen & Bathroom Drain
The signs of a clogged drain are often highly visible and easy to notice. However, the cause of a clogged drain may not be visible because problems are often deep in the system. Below, we look at five common signs of a clogged drain pipe and what you should do if you notice water backing up in your system.
1. Slow DrainageSlow drainage occurs when water takes longer than normal to drain out sinks, bathtubs, and toilets. A blockage can cause this in the drainpipe, which can restrict the flow of water and cause it to drain slowly. Factors that contribute to slow drainage include
- Accumulation of debris, such as hair, soap scum, and food particles, in the drainpipe.
- A build-up of grease or oil in the pipe
- A problem with the vent system is that it allows air to flow into the drain pipe, which can help to move water and waste through the pipe.
2. Gurgling NoisesA variety of factors can cause gurgling noises in the drain, but they are often an indication of a blockage in the drain pipe or vent system. One common cause of gurgling drains is a blockage in the drainpipe itself. An accumulation of debris in the pipe, such as hair, soap scum, and food particles, can cause this. Water flowing through the pipe can push against the blockage and create a gurgling noise. Another potential cause of gurgling drains is a problem with the vent system. A drain’s vent system allows air to flow into the drainpipe, which helps to maintain the proper flow of water and waste through the pipe. If the vent is blocked, it can create a vacuum in the drainpipe and cause water to be pulled back up the pipe, resulting in gurgling noises.
3. Visible BlockageVisible blockage in a drain refers to any debris or obstruction that can be seen in the drain or trap of a sink, bathtub, shower, or toilet. A variety of factors, such as hair, soap scum, food particles, grease, and other debris, can cause these blockages. Some examples of visible blockages include:
- Hair: Hair is one of the most common causes of visible blockages in bathroom sinks, showers, and bathtubs. Hair can accumulate in the drain and form a clump that can block the flow of water.
- Soap scum: Soap scum is a buildup of soap and minerals that can accumulate in the drain and trap, forming a hard blockage.
- Food particles: Food particles can accumulate in kitchen sinks and garbage disposals, forming a blockage that can restrict the flow of water.
- Grease: Grease can accumulate in the drain and harden, forming a blockage that can restrict the flow of water.
- Debris: Leaves, dirt, and other debris can accumulate in outdoor drains and cause a visible blockage.